Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 OC Edition 8GB GDDR5X (11Gbps)
The GTX 1080 landed last year and quickly became the go-to choice for high-end graphics junkies and the dream card for a lot of gamers. Nvidia couldn’t leave great alone so they stuck 8GB of GDDR5X on the GTX 1080 increasing its memory bandwidth from 320 GB/s to 352 GB/s or an increase of 10% over the standard GTX 1080 memory speed. Asus put their twist on the new design and the Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 OC Edition 8GB 11Gbps was born giving way to hordes of drooling geeks racing to e-tailers before they sell out of stock!
The GDDR5X on the Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 OC Edition 8GB 11Gbps pumps at 11010 MHz compared to the 7000MHz of GDDR5. You get the standard GTX 1080 amenities as well, 2560 Cuda Cores 60 ROPs and 160 TMUs. The Nvidia GP104-400-A1 GPU core on the Asus card runs at 1696 MHz with 1835 MHz boost while standard GTX 1080 Ref samples run at 1607 MHz. Asus also has an OC mode that drives the card to1721 MHz with 1860 MHz boost in OC mode. Let’s not forget the 8 + 2 Phase Super Alloy Power II premium power components to reduce power loss and lower heat production.
Pushing all that power comes at a cost albeit a small one, the heatsink design on the Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 OC Edition 8GB 11Gbps is not a 2x heatsink but a 2.5x slot width giving it a massive look and feel! The larger heatsink gives 40% more cooling surface and overall a 30% cooler running video card. Asus utilizes their MaxContact technology with 2x more surface area in direct contact with the GPU for better heat transfer. Asus also includes 2 fan headers for external fans to be controlled by the GPU (Asus FanConnect 2) but hey who turns down extra fan headers of any type.
Now as we all know the entire computing world has gone RGB to the extent that if a product doesn’t feature RGB then it’s almost “missing something”. The Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 OC Edition 8GB 11Gbps is no exception to the RGB rush and utilizes Asus’s now familiar Aura Sync RGB LED which can sync with other Asus Aura products or each product can be assigned its own color if you are feeling wild.
- MaxContact Technology and 2.5-Slot Width for the coolest and quietest gaming performance.
- Patented Wing-Blade Fan Design with IP5X dust resistance for longer fan lifespan.
- NVIDIA ANSEL for a revolutionary new way to capture in-game screenshots.
- ASUS FanConnect II for optimal cooling performance.
- Fan Profile Switch instantly changes from high-performance to quiet operation.
- Industry Only Auto-Extreme Technology with Super Alloy Power II delivers premium quality and best reliability.
- ASUS Aura Sync for perfect RGB LED synchronization.
- VR-friendly HDMI ports let you enjoy VR experiences anytime without having to swap cables.
- GPU Tweak II with XSplit Gamecaster provides intuitive performance tweaking and real-time streaming.
|Graphics Engine||NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Core GP104-400-A1
|Bus||PCI Express 3.0|
|Video Memory||GDDR5X 8GB|
|Core Clock (OC)||GPU Boost Clock : 1860 MHz , GPU Base Clock : 1721 MHz|
|Core Clock (Gaming)||GPU Boost Clock : 1835 MHz , GPU Base Clock : 1695 MHz|
|Memory Clock||11100 MHz (OC Mode)
11010 MHz (Gaming Mode)
|Interface||DVI Output : Yes x 1 (Native) (DVI-D)
HDMI Output : Yes x 2 (Native) (HDMI 2.0)
Display Port : Yes x 2 (Native) (Regular DP)
HDCP Support : Yes
|Power Connectors||1 x 6-pin, 1 x 8-pin|
|Accessories||1 x ROG Velcro Hook & Loop
1 x Power cable
|Software||ASUS GPU Tweak II & Driver|
|Dimensions||11.73″ x 5.28 ” x 2.07 ” Inch
29.8 x 13.4 x5.25 Centimeter