Of course we will be testing games for 7.1 Virtual surround sound on games that we have played hundreds of times so familiar with the sound tracks the mere snapping of a twig alerts us to an approaching enemy. Among the games are, Crysis, Starcraft 2 and Metro 2033.
We will also be listening to enormous amounts of Music that we know by heart having heard it a hundred times.
Then we will be using an audio testing suite including:
- Frequency Response – bass and treble extension from 20hz. to 20Khz
- Spectral Flatness – Nominal frequency reproduction from the low to the high end without dip or peak in frequency ranges
- Dynamic Range – Loudest and quietest signal you can hear to benchmark noise isolation
- Quality – Bass those cans until your eyeballs shake and check for rattles, chirps, squeaks and ear splitting feedback
- Driver Matching – simply are both sound drivers reproducing the sound at the same levels
- Wiring – check right and left channels to ensure correct wiring (Yes sometimes audio equipment is cross wired)
- Binaural Test – How real a reproduced sound is, in this case the knocking on a door
Audio testing the microphone that’s a little harder, so we will be recording my voice (Voip) to an online site, download that file and check it for noise cancellation. We will also record music then check the recorded files for ambient noise, clarity of recording and any distortion that may have crept in. Mandatory in this test is the online MMORPG while yelling such phrases as “Pwned you, come get some, owned” and any other caffeine driven commentary common to MMORPG’s. If you game online with Teamspeak or similar software you will understand what I mean. At the peak of battle understanding your teammates is paramount.
We will also be testing VOIP Skype and if time allows some Dragon naturally speaking.
|Case||Corsair Obsidian Series 800D|
|CPUs||Intel Core i7-5930k 22nm Haswell E 3.5GHz|
|Ram||ADATA XPG Z1 8GB (2 x 4GB) 288-Pin DDR4 @ 2133|
|CPU Cooler||Noctua NH-D15|
|SSD||2x Corsair P128 in Raid 0|
|GPU||NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550Ti|
|Mouse||Logitec M750 Trackball and Razer Naga|
Synthetic Benchmarks & Games
|Voip Recording and playback|